December 1, 2006
FOUR FOR FRIDAY
Q1 - Already Seen: Do recall your last experience with deja vu? If so, what was it about? If not, what was the focus of the last dream you can recall?
Q2 - I Spy: According to the University of Indiana, on average, adults blow their noses about forty-five times during the first three days of a cold. Do you look (and don't act like you don't know what I mean when I say "look") when you blow your nose?
Q3 - Shopping: What percentage of your 2006 holiday shopping do you plan to do online, and how does that compare to last year?
Q4 - Photos: Do you prefer Black & White or Color photographs?
Posted by Mikal at December 1, 2006 1:00 AM
1) Last night... I had a dream I gave two hitchhikers a ride to Joe's crab shack... but before we got there I figured out they were going to try and rob me... so I got them out of the car and then I was in my dentist's office.
2) I always look... what a question!
3) 25% last year... this year about the same.
4) Anything looks cool in black and white. Unless it's already black and white and then it looks cool in color.
1) Almost never Deja Vu now...Used to always do it as a kid. This either proves that children's minds are more open to the supernatural or their undeveloped brains don't sommunicate as well between the halves. I like the netherworld idea better.
2) I only look if I don't know. You usually know what it is. No need to look every time.
3) Online as much as I can. Should be easy...
Internet Yellow Pages for Everyone!!!!
4) I rarely like black & white. Color all the way. Unless the subject matter lends itself to b &w I tend to find it pretentious.
1. NOt very much any more but once in a while. Last time while riding in a car I was having a discussion about Christmas decorations and felt like I had not only had this discussion before but with the same person.
2. I look in order to see if there is infection. Mikal do you have a cold?
3. Shopping done. About 10% online because we buy most things in the sales after Christmas. Those sales aren't online as much. If they were I'd do most online.
4. Color for most. Sometimes b/w when it will make the picture have a strong message.
1. Hmm...I had deja vu recently here at work. I can't recall exactly what was happening.
2. I spy...at least 90% of the time.
3. This year so far 100%. By the end probably 50%. Last year was about 25%.
4. B&W. As a side note here...when I saw b&w television as a kid it was always the old shows such as a western. This let me to believe that in the "olden days" life was b&w. I remember asking my grandma what life was like back when everything was b&w. Thinking back on it now I'm pretty sure she thought I was either crazy or plain stupid.
1) My last deja vu was a few weeks ago when I was having a conversation with my wife. I felt like I had witnessed the conversation before from a third person perspective. It was wierd. I hate it when they change the Matrix.
2) I always look! Some pretty amazing stuff can come out of your nose and you don't want to miss it.
3) About 50% online. Some things I just have to see and touch before I will buy them. I bought about 50% online last year also.
4) I really like a b&w picture that has one colored item in the picture. The contrast really makes the pictures come to life.
1) That's the strange thing about deja vu: I do experience deja vu, but I can never remember what it was about until I experience it again. Dreams? Pshhhh Ö I can only remember dreams when I get more than six hous of sleep a night, which means I haven't been able to remember my dreams, pretty much, since my 9-year-old daughter was born.
2) Heck yeah. I wanna see those little goobers when coming out of my body, kicking and screaming, and imagine them wailing "No! Don't! I have a booger wife and booger kids! Aaaaaaa!" as I watch them swirl down the toilet vortex. Bwa ha ha ha ha Ö
3) I usually withdraw cash to make purchases for my wife so she doesn't know what she's getting (we have a joint account), but otherwise, I do quite a bit of online shopping for other people on my list. I'd say that I'll be up about 10% in holiday purchases this year compared to last year.
4) Depends. I like TAKING black and white photos cuz it makes it easier to control composition, contrast, focal point, etc. When it comes to enjoying other people's photos, it depends on the subject matter, the artist, etc. For example, I don't think that any of Ansel Adams photos would be the same in color. And would National Geographic have half the impact if those images weren't in color?
What an interesting set of questions, Mikal.
1. I remember the last DREAM I had, a few nights ago. For some reason, my attorney & I were arguing over something in his office and then my sort-of boyfriend Billy intervened and all was well. I had the feeling that Billy hadn't come with me to the attorney's office, but, rather, that he just sort of showed up - SURPRISE. What does all this REALLY mean?
2. If I think it's going to look nasty, sure, I look.
3. Last year, I did NO online shopping as the Department of Corrections doesn't allow internet access for inmates. This year, I've bought for 3 people online and only for 1 otherwise. It's only December 1st!!! Why shop now????
4. As art, I LOVE black & white photos. For personal & family enjoyment, I prefer to see all the colors - and the red-eye, sometimes. Lee McD
1) My last experience with deja vu was...wait I've already answered this...
2) I look when I think I'm going to be interested in what I find. Like, "holy mackerel! I think I just lost an eyeball in there!"
3) Holidays or not, if I don't need it right now I try to buy online 100%. The only exception would be large heavy items which get damaged more often in shipping, and are more difficult to return.
4)Speaking just of candid photos: I prefer color photographs, especially rare old color photographs from the early 20th century. I feel the b&w photos are really just images of shadows. They always make me feel I've missed what I consider the 'life' of the subject which is (to me) it's color. The tint of a girl's hair, the hue of a baby's skin, the color of an old car, or the coat of a long-dead pet.
1. Not much deja vu lately.i think that last time was driving home for Thanksgiving. A song came on the radio and I thought "I have to take the next exit to avoid an accident." After I turned off, I switched to a news station and there wa sindeed an accident about two miles dwon the highway.
2. Only to see if I've blown too hard and burst a capillary.
3. None. All my shopping is done except for some giftcards. I did buy four or five things online last year.
4. Depends on the subject matter. Candid shots I prefer to be in color, but I love B&W for portraits and studies. I do love those 50's vintage black and white pictures that have been hand-tinted though.
1. No deja vu recently. My last dream that I can recall...I was climbing a up some boulders trying to get to someone's wedding, I think. Then there was this woman who turned into a witch. Don't ask, I have no idea.
2. When I had my cold a couple of months ago, all I did was blow my nose. Of course I looked.
3. Online Christmas shopping? Probably 0%. I am taking care of my gift buying this weekend. I like to actually see what I'm purchasing before I pay for it.
4. It depends on the photograph. Although, I've always wanted a professional portrait of myself done in B&W.
1 - Last year I had a lot going on in my life and the weird thing was with every major event, I knew in advance it was going to happen. I knew my father had lung cancer before he told me, I knew a good friendship would end, etc. The focus of the last dream I can remember was not clear - I can remember details of the dream, but not the focus exactly. My kids and I were involved, rebuilding our life.
2 - I don't look everytime - only if I think I'm sick and there is an infection or it feels like I've passed something through my nasal passage.
3 - This year I've done most of my shopping in the stores - I usually split it up more. I got it done in one or two trips, except for a few things here and there and I'm making some of the rest of the gifts.
4 - Color, hands down, unless you're going for a certain look.
Post a Comment: